Thursday, October 30, 2008

Who's Next Who?

No earlier does David Tennant announce that he's leaving Doctor Who after 3 and a bit seasons (they call them 'series') than the speculation begins on who'll be the 11th incarnation. Several of their choices are interesting,but there are two possibilities the oddsmakers haven't yet mentioned.

One is Adrian Lester. When I first saw him in the lead of Primary Colors I didn't realize he was English. (I say he's the lead, despite the sixth billing he's given. Watch and decide for yourself.) When I watched him in the first three seasons series of Hu$tle, I recognized his versatility and capabilities as a leading man.  Having seen his filmed Shakespeare and read reviews of his stage work, I have come to accept he's a very gifted actor.  Most recently he did a so-so series called Bonekickers that  I hardly bothered to continue watching, but we keep our eyes out for him.  Awhile back I thought he'd make a splendid James Bond, but obviously a great choice was made with Daniel Craig.  But I'm not giving up on hoping something will propel Lester to the stardom he deserves, and the TARDIS may just be the vehicle he needs.

Another thought: How's about a woman?  (Joanna Lumley's turn in 3-time Hugo winner Stephen Moffat's Doctor Who and the Curse of Fatal Death doesn't count. If it did, we'd have to put Tennant as about the 14th Doctor or so.)  I'm not sure who the best Who as a woman would be, but I'd love to hear ideas.

Of the more widely speculated-upon contenders, I think James Nesbitt might be the most likely and the best choice.  His characters are comic and dark, and he has a long-standing relationship with Moffat (who's taking over the show after this mini-series) in such gems as
Jekyll.  He would be, as they say across the waters, Brilliant!

No comments: